Saturday, November 12, 2005

I Love the Sound of Buzzsaws in the Morning

The new smell of wood. The fact that every day -- every day! -- there's something new to look at, experience, envision. Visualization is much easier when there's a two-by-four or two framing the bathroom. It's positively exhilarating!

The sound of buzzsaws overtaking the morning news on KRON 4. Microfibers of wood covering all the clothes and furniture in the house. The constant surprises when crowbars expose raw framework.

Okay. It's not all good.

Remodeling, however, to me is the beginning of something new. My house will be what I always dreamed it would be (even though this is about the 4th stage of remodeling). But it's more than that.

It's also that I'm not spending money on all the small obsessions (?) I've had in the past. What I like to call the "QVC fetish." Whatever is new. Books I don't read. Collectibles I don't enjoy. Cookware I don't cook with. Maybe even clothes I don't wear. This feels healthier. Although I guess there are some who take even this to the extreme, continuing to remodel until their credit cards are beyond being maxed out.

But I know that's not going to happen with me. For one thing, those checks I have to write are just too large. And sleeping in the living room is getting really old.

It's only been three days on this project. But I love it.

1 comment:

Rabbi Ruth Adar said...

Mazal tov on your remodel! May it continue to be exciting and fun.